Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Monitor

Hello... I'm right on top of things, huh? Last post was nearly 3 months ago.

Since I was disappointed in some of the photos I adjusted for web posting (looked fine on one crappy monitor, but too dark or light on a different crappy monitor), I postponed posting more photos until I could get a new monitor that would allow me to edit photos and know what they will look like when displayed on a properly calibrated viewing device.

So, last Friday I got a new monitor - NEC 2690 with SpectraView II calibration system. I set it up and calibrated it this weekend. Ohh, what a beauty. Makes the 'average' quality Dell LCD monitor look quite poor, and even makes the higher end monitor (another Dell) look less than stunning in comparison. I'm not interested in doing a side by side comparison between this and my macBook's uber-inferior screen (which is what I was using to view/adjust photos) . It would just be depressing.

I'd take a picture of the monitor, and post that, but what would be the point unless you were viewing it on another NEC, LaCie, or Eizo. Hmmm... Maybe I could take a side by side of the macBook and the 2690 - both displaying the same picture. That would show the quality difference between the two, but viewers might assume that the macBook is just really bad versus seeing that the 2690 is a beauty.

I do have a few other pictures in mind to post. I just need to crop and convert from raw... I just hope it will be less than 3 months for the next post to show up here...

No comments:

Post a Comment